A man evacuated from Afghanistan is accused of sexually assaulting a child in New Mexico

The man accused of child sex crimes in New Mexico is an Afghan refugee who came to the United States last year after the Biden administration withdrew from Afghanistan, Fox News Digital reported.

The United States Attorney’s Office in New Mexico announced last week that Shah Mahmoud Selab had appeared in federal court for the first time on charges of rape and coercion, but could not identify him as an Afghan refugee.

According to reports, Serab approached the 12-year-old boy in a park near a school in Las Cruces. The girl was asked personal questions and told not to touch her cell phone before being shown “pornographic images and videos”.

After the boy left, Serab allegedly punched him several times in the face. According to the complaint, the boy tried to call 911 and go back to the bathroom, but Selab followed him, kissed him, put $20 in his hand and attempted to rape the victim. When someone else finally reached the toilet, the boy ran away. If convicted, Selab faces a minimum sentence of 10 years and up to life in prison, officials said.

This week, Fox News Digital announced that Selab will be released in the United States in November 2021. Congressman Yvette Herrell, R-N.M., later confirmed to Fox that he has been released on parole and the opportunity. law enforcement has confirmed that he is a citizen of Afghanistan. Part of the Allied Welcome Campaign.

“This is a serious crime because of the lack of oversight and transparency that Joe Biden has brought out of Afghanistan,” Errell told Fox News Digital. “Our government needs to protect families in New Mexico from importing crooks to raise their children. That’s why last year I called for comprehensive screening of immigrants without the Biden administration brought into our community, and why I will take responsibility and fight.

In a statement to Fox News Digital on Friday, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) announced that Selab was extradited to the United States on November 18, 2021 at Philadelphia International Airport. ICE has now arrested Selaba, who it says is a 35-year-old Afghan citizen, following his arrest.

See also  Afghanistan. The center of Kabul exploded. At least 19 people died

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), ICE detains people arrested for crimes that ICE believes qualify for deportation. The detainee asked local law enforcement to notify ICE before releasing him so he could be transferred to ICE custody.

“U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is committed to the safe and effective enforcement of the nation’s immigration laws and continues to focus its limited resources on the national interest and safety.” public,” ICE officials said in a statement.

More than 88,000 Afghans have flocked to the United States as part of the “Welcome Allies” campaign, which began last year after the United States withdrew from Afghanistan.

As part of Operation Welcome to Allies (OAW), the Department of Homeland Security uses humanitarian parole – on a case-by-case basis for important public interest or urgent humanitarian reasons – to quickly transported tens of thousands of Afghans to the United States. , the government avoids the Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) process and the U.S. refugee admission process.

DHS has defended the review and oversight process despite concerns raised by Republicans and others.

“Prior to entry to the United States, Afghan nationals undergo rigorous screening and multi-faceted checks including biometric and biographical screening by intelligence, law enforcement, and counter-terrorism experts. statements from the Departments of Homeland Security, Defense and State, FBI, National Counterterrorism Experts, Centers, and other intelligence community partners,” the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement. press this week.

However, a report from the DHS Inspector General’s Office earlier this month found that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) “doesn’t always have critical data to screen, screen, or screen calls for.” evacuate correctly.”

“As a result, DHS may accept or parole individuals who pose a threat to the national security of the United States and local communities,” the report continued.

See also  Where do the rich live in Afghanistan

A report in February by the Pentagon’s inspector general found that at least 50 evacuees had been brought to the US with information indicating “potentially serious security concerns” and that officials could not find them. found dozens of inappropriate messages.

Last month, US Senator Josh Hawley said 324 people had reported misinformation. “We are actively trying to investigate the many individuals who are part of the Joint Terrorism Task Force,” said FBI Director Christopher Wray.

Herrell warned about the vetting process and called for transparency when the evacuation began. Last October, he told Fox News Digital that the effort was “exaggerated” and misguided.

“We know the vetting and proofreading process is fragile, and as the process moves forward, we want to make sure that Americans feel safe in that process,” Herrell said.